-
May 23rd, 2007, 11:41 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi sorry to post this here, but I met this real cool Runaways fan at the Joey Ramone benefit last Saturday, and we kept meaning to exchange info then forgot. No, it's not a love connection thing! I know he visits here too, and just hoping to find the dude. Thanks, and keep rockin Cherie!! Love from NEPA, Mike
-
May 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
#2
moderator
Hi Mindless! Long time no see, around here!
Welcome back! And good luck finding your friend!
That must have been a great benefit. Wish I could have attended!
Take it easy!
[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Gus
-
May 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Thanks for that, yeah it's always a great party & for a good cause lymphoma research, which is what took Joey away. This year was extra fun, since the NY Dolls played! It's one of the only things that gets me to NYC anymore, since CBGB & Continental both closed up [img]frown.gif[/img] Maybe one of these years Cherie will make it to the show. Been too long since I've seen her. Meeting a cool person that loved the girls as much as me actually made the night cooler too, as we were bsing all night about our favorite moments meeting & hanging with them over the years.
I'm so grateful to Cherie for bringing Sandy to Chiller that time, meeting her & getting to see her play again with Cherie was just awesome, and I gave the dogtag Ms. Currie gave me a special place of honor in my display of artifacts!! Love always, Mike
-
May 26th, 2007, 04:16 AM
#4
moderator
Yo Mike,
It must have been great seeing Cherie and Sandy together, that time! I'm jealous!
It's very cool that they honor Joey for such an important cause, like that, in New York! He was one cool dude, for sure!
I saw The Ramones in Mesa Arizona in the early 90's and I'll never forget it!
It was the Escape From New York tour with Debbie Harry and The Shrunken Heads, on the same bill! What a show that was!
Any of those folks at the Joey Benefit?
Would LOVE to see The Dolls!
Well gotta run.
Later!
[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Gus
-
May 26th, 2007, 04:53 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Saw the girls together twice, actually, at the old Cat Club, with the Lunachicks, and even managed to videotape it, which I gave copies of course to both Cherie & Sandy at Chiller, with a custom case & everything. I missed Cherie's **** flash though [img]smile.gif[/img] Also saw them at the Stone Pony, with my pal Kevin on bass, but no video of that one, the girls both said it was cool, but not the management. Both were great memories, too bad Ms Jett didn't get onstage in NYC, but as Kenny Laguna told me "They ain't getting that for free", Grrr!
The Go-Gos were at the NYC show too, and were really friendly & nice to meet.
The band I saw the most in my life was the Ramones, I've easily seen them over 50 times, and was friends with all the members. The Runaways actually got me hooked on them, I went to see the Runaways open for the Ramones in 1978, and was blown away. Johnny was not the ogre all the documentaries make him to be, although I did see him have a fistfight with Marky once [img]wink.gif[/img]
Blondie played the first post death party, the shows are based on the Joey Ramone Birthday Parties they used to have in the late 90s, and his brother Mickey is carrying on the tradition now in honor of Joey & his Mom, who died this year. No Blondie this year, but Clem Burke debuted a new band, Slinky Vagabond with Earl Slick & Glen Matlock. The guests in the Ramone tribute set included Andy Shernoff & JP Dictators, Jayne County, Tish & Snooky from the Sic F***s, Willie Nile, Tommy Ramone, and some others I can't recall offhand, It's late! The show will be in Irving Plaza NYC next year again, it's always in May 18 Joey's BDay or 19, visit joeyramone.com for info or to donate for lymphoma, all the profits go to charity every year since Joey died. Also this year, they gave away one of Joey's Tshirts in a raffle for charity.
-
June 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
#6
moderator
Thanks for sharing your memories Mike! Yeah, I'm a total Blondie nut, too. Got turned on to The Ramones through Blondie. The Talking Heads are another favorite of mine. I just wish David Byrne had been there with the others when I saw them.
Joey was so amazing that day. It was, in the middle of the summer, in the middle of Arizona at an outdoor concert and Joey still managed to keep his black leather jacket on through the first three songs!
FANtastic show, for sure!
[img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]
Gus
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks